Saturday, October 21, 2006

Know your enemy

Or don't. You know, whatever. We're trying to develop a more 'low-key' image over here at the House Intelligence subcommittee.

Representative Jo Ann Davis, a Virginia Republican who heads a House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the C.I.A.'s performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, was similarly dumbfounded when I asked her if she knew the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

"Do I?" she asked me. A look of concentration came over her face. "You know, I should." She took a stab at it: "It's a difference in their fundamental religious beliefs. The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it's the Sunnis who’re more radical than the Shia."

Did she know which branch Al Qaeda's leaders follow?

"Al Qaeda is the one that's most radical, so I think they're Sunni," she replied. "I may be wrong, but I think that's right."

Brilliant. Excuse me while I take this hacksaw to your scalp. Maybe we'll find something usable in there. Like ethanol.

Things like this are why we're hearing media idiots say things like, "all the terrorism in Iraq is being supported by Iran"- yes, Iran especially loves the Sunni militias, right? That just makes total godamn sense, doesn't it? Maybe next we'll get to hear about how the IRA are funding the KKK.

Incidentally, for those actually interested, such things can in fact be determined using the wonderful world of the Internet.

This aneurysm provided courtesy of Anagrysis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should add a backlink to my blog.

Friar Yid (not Shlita) said...

Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?